My blog's purpose

My blog’s purpose is to show a kid’s perspective on food and restaurants so parents can tell where to take their kids.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tapas and much more- especially fantastic service in detail- at Jackie’s Wine Club

Jackie's Wine Club

I need to just clarify here one thing, before anything happens. I do not drink. I can’t drink. My point is I’m not even allowed to walk to the Rockville Public Library by myself from my new house. And it’s only 20 minutes away. So I did not come to get a shot of wine. I’m not 21. Not 18. Not 16. No, I’m not even 15. So stop trying to guess, okay?! I was going to CVS the day before yesterday, and my mom noticed a restaurant she hadn’t particularly favored had closed. Then we saw it: Jackie’s Wine Club. She excitedly said the only reason she went to the other place was wine. She wanted to try it out. Doubtfully, I said I didn’t have the will to go to a wine club (see where I’m going here?). So next thing I know we’re in the wine club, which is more like a tapas bar anyway, and ordering, CVS bags in hand. What came out first were delicious Spanish olives. They had a vibrant taste, and then a citrusy aftertaste that I thought was very nice. They were also very oily in a good way, probably because they were laid in olive oil. Then, we chose two cheeses from the Spanish plate. Fontina and manchego cheese. They were both different, as the fontina was soft and smooth with a light tang in the aftertaste. The manchego was totally the opposite, however. It was sharp, bold, and aromatic; as well as interlocking a nutty flavor. Then there were morrones- mmm. They were fire roasted red peppers that tasted tangy yet lightly sweet flavored with a hint of spice and a subtle finish. At the same time, then came a tapas hall of famer- what more than tortilla de patata? Now this one; singularly, was classic. It was rich as far as potatoes go, perfectly salted, airy, and addicting. Good thing I didn’t get a picture of me, stuffing my face with tapas. Stand by for an unfortunate dish, the only one, actually. The spinach empanaditas that I wasn’t stuffing my face with were too salty and tasted… really raw to me. Actually, too green is my idea on taste. Papas a la huancaina (aside from being hard to pronounce) were great. It tastes like potato salad with a distinct mustard taste and has enough salt, pepper, and spice for most people. A bit late was pizzeta, which was basically pizza with two extra letters in it. It had a very crispy texture and well bodied flavor. It may have been fontina cheese and mozzarella mixed together. And then I had a long conversation with the waiter (great service!). This is for you, Tom! I think Jackie and the gang deserve four and a half stars. Thanks a lot!


                                                           Enjoy your next bites,

                                                     The Tiny Tastebud (happily)

Jackie’s Wine Club

12 N. Washington Street # 7

Rockville, Maryland 20850

1 comment:

  1. Oops! Sorry for the time gap! I just moved to a new house.

    ReplyDelete